What is the ARRK?
The AntiRacism Reading Knook (ARRK) is a collaboration between the K College library staff and our Inclusive Excellence (KCIE) leadership team. This initiative seeks to facilitate campus-wide engagement with the books in the KCIE Reading for Change book collection. This collection was created to encourage learning about and facilitate greater access to antiracism information to all members of the campus community.
The ARRK is intended to help
- reduce the barrier to entry into reading antiracism books,
- identify campus facilitators with experience teaching and/or disciplinary expertise to provide context and guide discussion,
- foster broader relationships among faculty and staff, and thus
- build greater capacity for an inclusive campus through sustained and focused engagement with shared texts.
How Does the ARRK Work?
The ARRK initiative hosts an open discussion of either one or two chapters from a selected book or a current article on an antiracism or other DEIA topic. The discussion will be led by a member of the K College community who has experience with, training on, and/or knowledge in relation to the reading.
For the 2023-2024 academic year we will be adding an in person discussion over lunch for those meetings scheduled at 11:30. The 4:10 discussions will take place solely through Microsoft Teams and the 11:30 meetings will be hybrid.
- September 19th 4:10 p.m.
- October 17th 11:30 a.m. Hybrid meeting with lunch.
- November 14th 4:10 p.m.
- January 16th 11:30 a.m. Hybrid meeting with lunch.
- February 20th 4:10 p.m.
- March 19th 11:30 a.m. Hybrid meeting with lunch.
- April 16th 4:10 p.m.
- May 14th 11:30 a.m. Hybrid meeting with lunch.
Where Does the ARRK Meet?
For the 2023-2024 academic year we will be adding an in person discussion over lunch for those meetings scheduled at 11:30, but will also be hybrid and can be accessed through the Microsoft Teams ARRK Meeting Space. The 4:10 discussions will take place solely through the Microsoft Teams ARRK Meeting Space.
All discussions will be held in the ARRK Meeting Space on Microsoft Teams.
Apply to Lead an ARRK Session
Have an idea for an ARRK discussion? If you are interested in facilitating an ARRK session, please complete the ARRK Discussion Leadership Application form. (Facilitators will receive a $50 stipend).